The top 10 things to look for in a Healthcare Advocate
When considering a Healthcare Advocate there are key things to ensure this person has. These including:
1. Person possesses a degree in a health care field.
2. At least 5 years of experience working in hospitals and the community.
3. Is familiar with acute and chronic disorders and can easily and confidently answer questions about different conditions.
4. Has a large resource base to draw information from, such as other nurses, physicians, community groups.
5. An educational background, having taught at a college or university is an asset.
6. May have had a personal experience in dealing with such issues.
7. Is passionate about advocating for patients and shows care and compassion.
8. Willing to listen and consider your personal cultural religious ethnic values.
9. Has cultural ethnic religious spiritual competence.
10. Awareness and knowledge of ‘Regulated Health Professions ACT’ and all its amendments, and is familiar with all the different Regulated Health Professions and Controlled Acts.